Expert Project Leader / Expert Principal - Media Sector of the Technology, Media & Telecom Practice
The Boston Consulting Group
Since its inception in 1963, BCG has been at the forefront of business management. Many of our ideas and concepts – such as time-based competition, the growth/share matrix, capabilities-based competition, and the experience curve – have had such a fundamental impact on the success of corporations that they have become central to the business lexicon.
BCG continues to lead the way on issues at the vanguard of management thinking and practice, such as global advantage, value management, sustainability, and networks. We take pride in seeing our ideas successfully implemented. Many of our deepest client relationships have been with companies that transformed their industries. This tradition of transforming businesses and industries continues to motivate us today.
BCG’s Technology, Media and Telecom (TMT) practice helps companies grasp the strategic implications of changes in the market environment and use them to build competitive advantage. The practice has deep experience across all major segments, including broadcast, cable networks, newspapers, magazines, digital pure plays, studios, etc. BCG's TMT practice accounts for nearly 12% of global BCG revenues, and is the fifth largest industry practice globally, driven by a global team of over ~110 dedicated partners and ~300 professionals. This position will support our media sector, which has grown significantly over the past five years. Within the media sector, our revenues are over $150 million globally and support 50 core and affiliated partners.
BCG is expanding its New York-based team of content experts supporting its global media sector. The practice is currently looking for an individual at the Expert Project Leader or Expert Principal level who has significant experience in media and entertainment. A qualified individual will play a critical role in enriching firm expertise on this topic and in bringing this expertise to our media clients. Ideal candidates will have a media background, as well as have demonstrated leadership in growing client relationships, people and knowledge development.
This position reports to the co-leads of the global media practice and is part of our Expert Career Track, an exciting career path within BCG that provides opportunity to deepen expertise and progress within the firm.
Roles & Responsibilities
Build expertise in media within BCG and increase BCG’s profile externally:
Develop and contribute to BCG's intellectual capital - work on BCG projects ranging from strategy to digital transformation to cost restructuring, to create new techniques and/or capture new ideas
Build and maintain "fact packs" related to core media topics so there is an ever-available library of educational materials for internal and client usage
- Support the media sector in writing external reports, papers, and social media contributions, working in concert with BCG partners and the TMT practice's marketing lead
- Identify conferences for BCG's attendance and help coordinate our participation
Lead and support execution of projects for media clients:
- Develop overall methodology and approach for solving client problems
- Work jointly with BCG and client project leaders, bring expertise to the team both on industry-specific issues and key client questions
- Support multiple case teams, co-lead modules, especially those in need of broad experience and hands-on approach
- Ensure the quality of the work, and the relevance of any synthesis and recommendations; challenge work in progress, results and re-orient analyses as needed
Contribute to the business development of the media sector at BCG:
Contribute and drive leads and proposals together with the partners of the practice
Lead development of proposals from end to end around specific topics
Develop perspectives on key topics on the client agenda, create respective content and foster awareness of BCG's expertise
The ideal candidate possesses:
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the media industry or a combination of industry and consulting experience (preferred)
- A range of responsibilities in media-related activities (business development, planning, project management, strategy, operations)
- Some focused / deep pockets of expertise in media (television/video and/or digital experience of particular interest)
- Emerging professional network within the media industry
- Proven track record of implementation success
- MBA attractive but not required
- Analytical and structured
- Highly professional and rigorous
- Able to think strategically/end-to-end
- Good business sense
- Driven, hard-working
- Excellent communication skills
- Team player, open, pleasure to work with and positive in a group dynamic
- Loyal and reliable
- Highest ethical standards
- Flexible and creative: ability to build empathy within the firm and win the trust of the clients
- Good interpersonal skills, while also able to work independently and autonomously apply business judgment
- Entrepreneurial, proactive, and productive